Healing Holistix

Friends of Healing Holistix!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wales
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:22 pm 

Yes, 'out' a lot just now! Registering with a doc etc. And as the buses seem to be haywire over here, I do a lot of walking! :roll:

Just had a coffee at a cafe on the beach with a chap I 'met' on Nextdoor. Born in Wales but has lived in Texas for many years, American accent but still speaks Welsh! We had a good old chat & I enjoyed it.

Still unpacking the last bits & bobs that it's hard to find a place for! :roll: But hey, the sun's shining now :D Dunno about tomorrow though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:41 pm 

That's wonderful!! Love hearing even about the bits and bobs, meeting people, bus schedules, walkies and any old thing!!!
Thanx for reporting in!!
:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 pm 

Sounds good so far Helen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:17 am 

One of the drawbacks to this flat - well for me anyway - are the electric cookers; there are two of them, and they're the fancy digital fan types. I just cant get my head round them. I can't understand, for instance, why when I'm grilling something, the fan has to be going! There are icons on the front that I just don't know what they mean, and I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere.

And a strange result of this is that I'm eating less & less, and a lot of the food I cook just doesn't feel appetising, and I end up throwing it away. I think my taste buds have changed.
Thank god for porridge, weetabix & corn flakes!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:51 am 

Why are there 2 cookers? Is there no instruction book with them? If not, give me the make and model and I'll see if I can find them online.
Apparently our taste buds do change, not sure if it is an urban myth that they change every 7 years. Is there any other reason why your taste buds could have changed - eg when this happened to my friend's mum, she had B12 deficiency. Found this link (sorry about the 'elderly bit!) :P https://www.agingcare.com/articles/loss ... 135240.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:19 pm 

Glad Lynn suggested online stove manuals. I guess those fans mean you have a convection oven. Good for crisping up stuff, if you like crispy.
Like Linny, I'm interested in all the details of your new life. Did Alfie get over his nipping?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:08 pm 

Not only tastebud changes, but I am convinced that moving household is right up there in the stress factory. My shrink used to say that the body can't really tell the difference between good change and bad change, but it does respond to the big changes of life, moving being amongst the top three. You just made a big, big change so perhaps once you get used to your new electric stuff and available foods, energy and environments, your appetite will get back going again. Don't forget to get some probiotics inyer (ok, I just made that word up....in + yer = in you). :D

Any ole story will do!!! Attagirl....you are doing great, that's what I am thinxing!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:40 pm 

I eventually found handbooks for the cookers, so am more clued up now!

Now let's talk about cleaning ladies. I had one every two weeks in Catford, and this flat is three times bigger! She was Polish & charged me £10 an hour. And very good she was too. I've been trying to find one here & having difficulty - they are much more expensive!! :shock: (You'd think being outside London they'd be cheaper, but no! They charge up to £16 an hour.) The last lady who contacted me wanted to come & see the flat & "discuss what I want done" before she could give me a price! But cleaning is cleaning, no?? :roll: She comes for 2 hours & does what she can in that time. I really don't understand. Perhaps I'll have to buckle down & do it myself!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:48 pm 

helenoftheways wrote:
Perhaps I'll have to buckle down & do it myself!!

Steady on, Helen, that sounds like exercise! :lol: (think of the money you'll save to spend on special treats)

I'm glad you've got your cookers sorted and can now cook your own hot food. :P

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:56 pm 

Agreed!!!

Interesting on regional pricing differences, who would have thought?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:51 am 

I've found a nice cleaning lady now, only charges £10 an hour. 8)

We had two days without rain just recently (!) and the sparrows were queueing up to bathe in the stone bird bath below my window!! That amused me - you'd think they'd had enough of being wet! :lol:

In the garden, I see sparrows, wrens, ring necked doves, magpies, blackbirds, robins, a jay, squirrels, and of course the family of foxes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:30 am 

Very good.
Ok, we need to hear more about your new digs now that you've been there for awhile. Do you like the new flat? Do you like living in Wales? How has Alfie adjusted? How do you get around mostly--for example, go shopping? Have you replaced all the necessary people: doctor, dentist, drugstore, vet, etc? Are there advantages or disadvantages to living in London? Does it usually rain more? How are the winters? Have you made new friends? Is there a good library?
I can't remember your mentioning yard foxes, but that could just be me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:58 pm 

You've certainly got a lot of things to watch.
It sounds as if you are enjoying it there. :)

Blessed are the crack'd - for it is they who will let in the light.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:44 pm 

Torre wrote:
Do you like the new flat? Do you like living in Wales? How has Alfie adjusted? How do you get around mostly--for example, go shopping? Have you replaced all the necessary people: doctor, dentist, drugstore, vet, etc? Are there advantages or disadvantages to living in London? Does it usually rain more? How are the winters? Have you made new friends? Is there a good library?

Gosh Torre - so many questions! This is a pic of half of my sittingroom...

https://imgur.com/a/LFbmwXa

The 1 bed flat I had in Catford would fit - literally- into this sittingroom!

Alfie loves it, specially the beach & the park, he zooms around happily either by himself or with other dogs.

I don't get around very much at all, as bus fares are expensive & I don't have my concessionary pass yet. A return ticket to the Mumbles from where I live costs me over £7, distance of 4 miles!! Once a week, I go with Alvaro & Lucy in the car to Tesco or Sainsbury in town. I've registered with a doc in Sketty, which I can walk to, although it's uphill & leaves me a bit puffed out! But I go through the park which is nicer...except when it's raining! There's a Co-op at the end of my street for the basics. Haven't needed a dentist or a vet yet! There's a library up in Killay, where I go every Thursday morning for my dowsing group meeting - someone picks me up.

I've made friends with a lovely couple who live just 3 doors up from me; they have recently moved down here from Maidenhead & have a little dog called Wilbur - Nicola & I take the doggies for walks together. She has a car & occasionally takes me places I need to go, but I don't like to ask her too often.

I suppose it only rains a bit more than London, as it comes in straight off the Atlantic, but when it rains, it really rains - in sheets!! :shock:

In London, I had everything to hand within a short distance - not the case here. So that's the disadvantage. No idea about the winters yet!

Alfie in the park...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:09 pm 

I have an eccentric neighbour, David, whose hobby is ... tractors! :P

He's promised me a ride one day! Eccentric is good! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next